Training and Continuing Education for Health Professionals
Effective and sustained public health capacity development requires collaboration and partnership, both within and outside of the public health field. There are a wide range of opportunities and events throughout the year which can contribute to strengthened public health understanding and experience.
The aim of this page is to provide links and details on just some of these opportunities. If you know of an event or opportunity which could be promoted here, please let us know.
Local, regional, national events
Watch this space for upcoming opportunities!
Online open courses, podcasts and webinars
Health Promotion Forum of New Zealand
The Health Promotion Forum of New Zealand, Runanga Whakapiki Ake i Te Hauora o Aotearoa, offers a range of online courses to support development of health promotion theory and practice. Courses currently include Determinants of Health, Mainstream Health Promotion, Māori Health Promotion, and Pacifika Health Promotion. Check their website for more details and costs.
Ministry of Health
LearnOnline provides Ministry of Health professional education and training for health professionals in New Zealand. New courses are added as these become available, providing opportunities for a wide range of health practice areas.
There are a wide range of relevant podcasts available online; here are the links to just a few:
- The Lancet Audio Archive
- John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (US)
- NIH Environmental Health Podcasts (US)
Open courses & webinars
For some great international open course and webinar opportunities:
- Coursera and Edx regularly run a range of courses of public health interest – many of which are free and completed at your own pace
- CDC Public Health grand rounds (US) – can be viewed via live stream
- Partners in Information Access for Public Health Workforce (US) – links to a range of educational events and resources, including opportunities for distance learning
- John Hopkins external public health training resources (US) – also links to a range of online courses, training sessions and resources
- Royal Society for Public Health (UK) – links to some great online webinars; note attendance requires webpage sign-up
Scholarships and funding
A number of scholarships are available in relation to training and development in the field of public health.
Hauora Māori Scholarships
Hauora Māori Scholarships provide financial assistance to students who are undertaking or completing a course in health and disability studies that has been accredited by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
Māori Provider Development Scheme (MPDS)
Funding may be available to contracted Māori health providers and health providers who are significant providers of health and disability services to Māori.
Pacific health and disability workforce awards
These awards provide financial assistance to students undertaking a course in health or disability-related studies accredited by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) or the New Zealand Vice Chancellors Committee.